Saturday 17 April 2010

Chronicles of Portugal: Part Three - the Volcano Strikes

My workshop has now finished, but as many of you have probably noticed most of Europe is currently grounded. As such, I am stuck in Lisbon. This may be poetic justice, as I believe in my last blog I was slagging off the fact that we all flew to a conservation workshop.

The workshop was a success, many important wild plants will now appear on the European Red List (published in December) and I made some good connections and friends whilst I was there. And Lisbon is an exciting city, with plenty going on. But I do want to be home now. This would be a treat if I had certain people here with me, but instead I am stuck in a hotel for the next three days with perfectly nice people, but not the people I would ideally be here with given the choice. So I have to knuckle down, do some work, and try and make the best of a bad situation. The one consolation is that I have an extension on my thesis! Small mercies.

I just read this back, apologies for this being a somewhat dull, negative blog. So here are some good points:

1. They have the Fox channel in Portugal, which is basically the Simpsons, followed by Malcolm in the Middle, followed by Family Guy, followed by Scrubs, well, you get the jist.
2. I have internet in my room here so I don't have to sit in the lobby for hours on end as I did in the last hotel.
3. The cost of the hotel here will be reimbursed upon my return, so technically this is a free holiday.
4. I'm staying here with some of "the best ones" from the workshop, so evening meals should be good fun.

Okay, I'm going to go against everything As Well Continue To Run stand for, and in fact drink the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment