Monday 1 March 2010

All Work and No Tea Makes Joe a Dull Boy

Today my girlfriend and I have decided to give up caffeine for a week. To us this is quite a big deal, being devout tea worshippers ourselves. But we thought it would be interesting to “kick the habit” for a week, mostly just to see if we could. Today is day one, and so far it has been hard work. To put it in perspective, I drink a lot of tea, at least 10 cups a day minimum. I can’t remember ever not having one in the morning to wake me up, so today was a real shock to the system. The train journey into university this morning involved a lot of daydreaming and stumbling around, and I am genuinely struggling to concentrate. In fact right at this minute I should be chipping away at a rather large project which needs to be completed by the end of next month, but I keep writing a sentence and then finding something else to do, my attention span has definitely waned. My usual solution when I’m struggling to concentrate is to go and make a cup of tea. It’s quite bizarre, as I’m well aware that I drink too much tea and I am addicted to the caffeine within, but to suddenly give it up does make me feel different, less composed, less ready to take on the world. This isn’t me moaning by the way, merely a way of me documenting the week so I’ll have something to remember it by when I binge myself to bits on caffeine next Monday…

No comments:

Post a Comment