Thursday 5 August 2010

The End of This Crazy Trip...

Today marks the final day of my stint down here in Cornwall; as we speak my dad is heading south to pick me up. I'll actually be leaving tomorrow as travelling from the midlands to Cornwall and back again in a day involves about thirteen hours of driving, and so I'll be sharing my final night in the caravan with my pa.

Yesterday I decided to have a final walk along the coast to take it all in before I leave. I chose to set off late, but on my way back received a phone call from Claire seeing if I still wanted to go over to hers that night. I felt bad because I had remembered making this arrangement but assumed she's forgotten so took my time spectacularly on my stroll. Anyway, I was still back in time to take her up on her offer, and we ended up having a barbecue on the beach, joined by her partner Ben. I must say I'm glad I went along as I finally got to see the sun setting over the sea, but unfortunately I have packed my camera so won't be able to post any pictures. I also enjoyed the best burger I've ever had, no cheese, a tiny bit of salad, but the tastiest burger of my life. I felt like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction... I was also treated to a hot shower and a real bed, all in all a fine way to spend my penultimate night.

This morning I was greeted by Jeremy, the owner of the caravan, who informed me that word of my project had been spreading around the company, and in fact to the local press. This has concerned me somewhat, as I'm beginning to worry that the project might not be up to scratch. This is not technically my fault, the blame lies partly in the hands of time. If I can contextualise my work into the grander scope of food security and the importance of crop wild relatives however, then hopefully it will have all been worth it. I may have my work cut out for me when I get back, but I have around a month to write up which should be more than enough time to create a project which can be referenced by anyone doing similar work.

Today I am mainly waiting around. Uncharacteristically, I have packed almost everything and so just have my iPod and the laptop for company whilst I await my dads arrival. I'm hoping we'll head out for a steak later so I'm passing the time by warming my stomach up.

It's been an adventure down here in Cornwall. I can't claim to have enjoyed every minute of it, but I think overall I'm glad I came down here to do the work, and I hope it will have use and significance to anyone wishing to continue what I have started.

No comments:

Post a Comment