Tuesday 3 August 2010

Life Is A Roller Coaster, Wise Words Ronan...

Today was full of ups and downs. I managed to bag a lift over to the east coast to continue where I'd left off several weeks earlier. On my walk down to my starting point in the drizzle, a dense Cornish mist descended on the cliff tops and surrounded me, making me feel like the only man in the world. At the same time I was listening to some fairly bad eighties albums in order to give them a star rating, after a bright idea last night to come up with a top five album list from every year since I was born. Together, these two things made me feel very sorry for myself, and I spent the majority of the morning angrily moping around, watching the clock. The rain got worse and my work became harder, until eventually I gave up and decided to indulge in one of my favourite daily pursuits: scrambling over rocks. I decided I'd give up on the music and instead re-listen to some old Adam and Joe podcasts, and just as I was slipping around amongst the rocks the sun came out and the day improved no end. After a good half and hour of what can only be described as "dicking about", I continued with my work, resembling a damp, sweaty maniac as I walked around laughing heartily to myself.

I got to my final destination earlier than expected, so partook in another of my hobbies here and followed a random footpath to see where it would go. Nowhere particularly interesting it turned out, although I did see a woman and her daughter blatantly collecting poppy seeds which I thought was a bit suspicious. It got to about half three and I headed up to where I knew the volunteers were working today to get a lift back to base. As I approached I saw one of Natural England's tractors leaving site, so I assumed I was just in time. I was not. I walked around the entire site, and realising no one was there rang headquarters. I was helpfully informed everyone was back at base except Steve, who might be able to pick me up if he was still around. I rang Steve, but his phone was off. Perfect. Seven miles from the caravan the anger began to rise again and I set off along the main road for the long journey back. After about two miles Steve rack however, and was good enough to come out and pick me up, which was much appreciated. Things were looking up again, and when I got I had an email waiting for me informing me I'd be receiving a pay cheque for my time here. Hurrah!

To confirm, a day of ups and downs. One of my more boring posts I'm afraid, but what do you expect, I'm almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment