Monday 2 August 2010

Nervous on Night Drives

Before I start, just a few of my favourite signs from the last few days:
Today the weather was glorious so I headed out and about to try and get as much done before my return back to Birmingham at the end of the week. Unfortunately, the weather brings out my least favourite breed of people: the tourists. Just look at this beach, this really is a hell on Earth to me:
There's probably a hint of jealousy in my vitriol as these people can lounge around all day frolicking in the sun, whereas I am still unenthusiastically counting carrots every few steps. Not for much longer though! This almost wasn't the case however, as I had a phone call from my lecturer today trying to convince me to stay here for an additional week so I could meet up with a Natural England employee who has done previous work similar to my project. What annoyed me is that he dropped this bombshell on me three days before I'm due to leave and expects me to dotingly go along with it. No dice. I basically explained that my dad has had to rearrange his whole week in order to come and collect me, and I am quite literally down to my last scraps of cash. If he'd offered me some funding, or even informed me of this a few weeks ago I could have made arrangements and possibly would have stayed for an additional week. I was seconds away from telling him I needed to come home for my own sanity more than anything else, but bit my tongue and kept it professional. We both stood our ground amicably and so I am still due home this week, much to his disgust. There's just been too many last minute decisions already on this course, and with the end in sight I think one more may have been the straw that broke the camels back. I think had I agreed, a scene similar to the ending of "Falling Down" may have ensued...

No comments:

Post a Comment