Thursday 24 June 2010

Am I Pleased To See You Or Have I Just Stuck A Canoe In My Pocket?!

Don't be alarmed readers, I've just been enjoying a bit too much Blackadder.

Today I was back in the field after almost a week off, armed with the seemingly dozens of extra tools I was gifted back in Birmingham. The day began relatively badly, as when I arrived at the first site I realised I had no idea how to use any of the said equipment, but I soldiered on and got some good, if slightly inaccurate data. I also ran out of batteries in both my camera and GPS device, so had to keep swapping a spare set between the two which got fairly annoying. I'm now taking samples from each site though, and for once felt like a proper scientist; putting leaves into bags pre-filled with unusual looking globules to the curious glances of onlookers.

I made my usual treck over to Mullion this evening for some groceries, but for once it was a real joy! I had my iPod blaring for the first time in the wild since I've been here, and the sun was beating down on my back. I'd forgotten how good it feels to soundtrack a walk using the Shuffle function. A lot of the time it's bang on the money, and today served up some sweet reggae courtesy of The Congos, forgotten classics from Sneaker Pimps, elecro-pop from XTC, and rather fittingly some cheese metal from Dio (RIP). It was perhaps due to the fact that I've been without my whole music collection for some time, but I simply couldn't get enough! I kept coming up with dream playlists in my head, but am holding off currently as the iPod is still not working at full speed. It seems some albums it simply can't play, but as of yet nothing major has been lost in the ether.

I'll stop gushing about music now anyway, as I should be doing some work. It's nice to be able to listen to music whilst I do it though! The next few days will be filled with desk based work unfortunately, although I'm hoping this will help to pass the weekend; I think I got a little too used to being back at home...

No comments:

Post a Comment