Friday 11 June 2010

The Hat Came Back

Good gravy granules it's hot in this part of the world! I'm not complaining though as I have no hot water in my caravan so I've been enduring prison style cold showers. My tactic is to exert myself to the point of exhaustion during the day so that by the time I retire to my caravan for the day I'm so hot a cold shower is a relief. I haven't braved one in the morning yet though, so it's a boiled kettle and a flannel on my "important areas" to start the day. The water situation is quite dodgy here, I can't drink the tap water as the supply comes from an old slaughter house and supposedly has a queer, blood tinged taste to it. Therefore I have a 5 litre bottle of drinking water to keep me going which should be interesting this weekend when no one's here. Last night as I was cooking there was an almighty explosion and water erupted out of the sink and hit the ceiling, soaking the majority of the caravan. As you can imagine, I shit myself thinking the gas had blown up, but alas it was merely the pressure being too high in the feed to the taps and so the join broke. It seems to be fixed now though, although the carpet is still sodden.

I didn't really know what to do today, I was planning a day of office work because the weather was meant to be abyssmal. However, Johnny Sun slipped his hat on so I set about exploring the area around my caravan and surveying any of my target species. Incidentally there weren't many about (I only found one species at one site) so I busied myself taking photos of anything interesting I could find.

So first off, the dragonflies (or maybe mayflies, I really should know this) were out in force, and I managed to catch one mid flight, although it's not as good a picture as I'd hoped.

I also came across this little bugger. These spiders are literally everywhere on the heaths, but I quite admire the way they set a trap and lie in wait...
And then I stumbled upon a group of horses. A bad time to realise that I'm quite scared of horses really, when I got near them they all looked up and I suddenly panicked because if they charged, I'd definitely be a dead man. Plus I was wandering around on my own so probably wouldn't be missed for several weeks. If you look closely though you can see the sea.
And below is my dangerous find of the day. This is a makeshift electric fence running off a car battery, with no warning signs. Nice.
I think that's covered everything, it will be a strange weekend here on my own but I'm hoping to do some exploring along the coast to stave off "the crazy".

I found my hat by the roadside today which blew off a couple of days ago. Good old countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment