Sunday 13 June 2010

The Sea Is Wet, Did You Know That?

It's been a weekend of ups and downs. Yesterday was a write off, I waited all day for the reserve manager to turn up and give me a lift into the nearest town for some campling supplies. Frustratingly, he didn't turn up until 4pm, and seemed slightly bemused when I asked if we were still heading into Helston. We didn't in the end, so I was stuck in the caravan all day. I did get some work done, but it was such nice weather that it felt like I'd wasted the day.

Today I decided I'd make my way to the sea. The closest shore to me is Mullion Cove, and I wanted to get there on footpaths as opposed to roads (mostly because the roads have no pavements). The weather was glorious so the walk there was brilliant. I overcame my equine fear, stumbled through a field of cattle, and laughed far too much at some sheep. It took me about an hour to get there, and it was great scrambling about on the rocks. I saw this fellow:
I enjoyed the view of Mullion Island (which I would like like to swim out to at some point):
And I enjoyed a spot of lunch here:...enjoying this view (but not in black and white obviously, I'm not a dog):
So that was all lovely, and I was feeling very alive and full of enthusiasm. However, then the clouds gathered and the day took a wet, wet turn. So here's my 3 point guide to getting ill:

1. You may want to prepare for this by having a few beers the night before, skipping dinner, and having a terrible night's sleep. This will help in the long run. Also you should set off on your travels fairly underprepared, ideally with a Gap waterproof that is not in fact waterproof. You want to start on a sunny day, and get a little sunburned on your way to your destination.
2. When you notice the clouds looking menacing, don't put on a coat. Convince yourself it will pass. Then when it does start raining, make sure you get as wet as physically possible. To ensure this, wear jeans and make your way through fields that consist primarily of long grass. This way everything you're wearing gets well and truly sodden. Make sure you can hear your socks squelching in your shoes, this is a sure sign that you are soaked to the bone.
3. This is the most important one. You must be staying in a caravan with nowhere to dry your clothes, no heating, and no hot water. Remove your clothes, run and turn the water supply on in your pants, and treat yourself to a nice long cold shower. Then sit back, and enjoy the strange burning feeling all over, even though you know you should be freezing.

And it all started so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment