Saturday 26 June 2010

A Single Spark Can Start A Spectral Fire

I was going to do a token post today to pass the time, thinking I could just mention I've been stuck doing desk work for the past few days and talk about my brief jaunt into Mullion. However, on returning from my supply run, I experienced my second big explosion, exciting times.

I'll set the scene: it's baking hot down here still and I'd just walked the two miles or so back from Mullion with a rucksack full of edible treats. Keen for a shower, and actually relishing the fact that it would be cold, I popped the water on at the tap, as always, and returned indoors ready to cleanse myself. No sooner had I placed a foot back in the caravan I heard an almighty bang and the sound or furiously gushing water. Curiously though, I couldn't find where the water was coming from, and for a while assumed the fridge had exploded. I went outside and saw water pouring from the bottom of the caravan, but still no explaination as to where it was emerging from. At this point I was more confused than panicked, but refused to turn off the water at the tap until the leak had been located. I then suddenly thought it must be leaking under the sofa, as this is where the water flows through the immersion heater (which sadly still doesn't work). No water there either, but I could still hear it coming from the fridge. Then it dawned on me; clearly it was bursting out from behind the fridge. Now, as I haven't shown any pictures of the caravan interior yet, here's a couple of snaps so you can get perspective:
You can see the fridge just slightly on the second picture behind the red bag. And above that is my wardrobe. I knew there was only one thing for it, I had to destroy the wardrobe to stop the leak. Now this is going to sound like I'm trying to make myself look all macho, but I assure you it's merely the truth: I had to punch apart the wardrobe. This was a necessary evil because I have no tools with me. Anyway, it was fairly easy to dismantle (not so easy to repair mind you) and I soon found the pipe which had become disconnected. I stuck my hand in there and rooted around, trying to grab the various clips and grips I'd need to tighten up this mother. Only as I was covered in water with my hand down the back of the fridge did I think that this was actually an incredibly bad idea seeing as it's an electric fridge. I survived unscathed though, and was actually quite pleased with myself because I'd fixed it myself and not just gone running to the closest "grown up". It made me feel like a real life man, and very satisfying it was too. Also I realised that the drip I'd been trying to locate for the last couple of weeks must have been coming from here also. Thankfully, the dripping has now stopped. This is the state of the wardrobe, although it doesn't look too bad as by the time I thought to take a picture I'd pretty much put it back together again:
That doesn't show anything really.

It's all one big adventure down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment