Friday 18 June 2010

Last Time...On Lost

Yesterday I spent most of the day at the sea looking for my various target species. Beyond the flora though, the absolute highlight for me was seeing a Basking Shark:
Granted, you can't see a lot here, but I was very excited. I love sharks, nature's perfect animal in my eyes. At one point a guy ran down the beach and in true Jaws style started shouting: "Shark! Shark!" I was sampling with a botanist yeasterday, and to me botany is like learning a different language. In fact it is a different language because everything is in Latin. I'm starting to get the hang of it now though, and as with anything, the best way to learn is to keep doing it.

In evening I thought I'd go for a walk as it was such nice weather still. This turned out to be a mistake as I got horribly, horribly lost. This all came about because, having now overcome my horse fear...
...I now have bovine fear. I think anyone would have in this situation though, because the gate I needed to get through was suddenly occupied by around 60 bolting cows. They must have been being herded by the farmer for some reason so I thought I'd find an alternative route to the nearest town. It was times like these that I wished I'd listened more in Scouts, as I ended up in a field with no landmarks anywhere around me:
After a mere hour and a half aimlessly wandering around, I finally found Mullion and treated myself to a few beers. Unfortunately the journey had taken it out of me so much that I woke up in the middle of the night, beer still in hand and just had to go to bed. Ah well, it should all be aiding the removal of my chicken legs.

Today I went out sampling early and managed to tear my legs to shreds in thick spikey heath. I was heading for a rocky outcrop where I was assured I'd find Wild Chives. I didn't, so defeated I returned to the caravan and got myself ready for the big trip back to Brummington.

No comments:

Post a Comment