Thursday 22 July 2010

Cow News, Just In...

How frustrating, I just set out for the day and half way into my journey a heavy rain set in and soaked me to the bone. Sulking, I headed back and low and behold, by the time I was back at the workshop it was brilliant sunshine. I'll try again this afternoon.

Yesterday I went down to
Kynance Cliffs and filled in my penultimate gap in the coastline. One more day's work and I finally have a continuous stretch of the coast that I've surveyed and the rest of my time can be spent heading as far north as time will permit. However, what you really want is the cow news, I can just tell.

You may remember from an earlier post a sign warning walkers about the dangers of grazing cattle. Well, today I was surveying their home. At first I couldn't see them, and assumed they were far back in the fields. Then I saw them, a 60 strong herd of black, angry beasts nonchalantly occupying the cliff edge.
My first reaction was to head onto the rocks and scramble my way past them in an area I knew would be
inaccessible to them. Of course, this is ridiculous and I probably put myself in more danger rock climbing, although I did happen across several of the species I'm looking for. So I headed back up to the top, and emerged about 10 metres away from the wretched beasts. I froze, but then spied a couple having a lunchtime stroll, so I decided to tag along. I figured if they get brutally attacked, at least I'd be able to make a dash for it... I followed a few paces behind them, being sure never to get in the way of a mother and her calf (the cows I'm talking about now, not the couple). I managed to get through the herd unscathed, and although visibly shaking, I was pleased with myself. On the walk back I braved them alone, which I instantly regretted as soon as I encountered the first cow. They were now spread across the entire field, meaning I had to be "amongst them" for a good 10 minutes. They all have horns as well. Needless to say I survived, and feel I've overcome my bovinophobia to a certain degree. However, on the way back a horse threw itself at a gate designed to keep it enclosed as I passed by, so I might just start being scared of them again...

Incidentally this rock outcrop is called The Horse, and I'm still yet to figure out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment