Tuesday 6 July 2010

Sign of the Times

Today I was back to work in the field after a long weekend camping just outside of Falmouth. It was a fantastic holiday, and I shall share with you now a few highlights.

Firstly, I hadn't seen the tent before we pitched as Sam brought it down with her:
At first I was slightly apprehensive as it is somewhat feminine. However, as Sam repeatedly reminded me, I do currently spend my days picking flowers so I can't really criticise. I grew to love that tent though, it was surprisingly spacious for a two-manner and kept off the weather (which in fairness was pretty good). It didn't, however, block out the noise of the man next door who insisted on discussing the wind direction with his lift at 7:00am every morning. I let this slide though as you do tend to wake up with the sun when camping, which is no bad thing.

We managed to squeeze a lot into the weekend which was good because I think we both needed the break away from our projects. So, we hit the beach in Falmouth, and actually braved the sea despite it being the coldest water I've ever been in (I genuinely couldn't feel my own body afterwards). I won't disturb anyone with pictures of me in the sea, nor embarrass Sam with pictures of her. I thought I'd be acclimatised to coldness, what with not having hot water and all, but alas no. Remarkably I had more facilities camping than I do in the caravan. After the beach we had a sweet sweet barbecue back at the campsite, which, despite setting the grass on fire on several occasions, was a success.
We also partook in several country rambles, the most eventful of which ended with us having to hotfoot it over some barbed wire when a field full of cows kept charging every time we tried to get past. It was genuinely as if they were trying to block our exit, but we'd come too far to turn back. Needless to say we survived and rewarded ourselves with some well earned pub grub, after a trip to a very trendy little cafe with many board games on offer.
Ho ho. The evening meal was actually courtesy of my Grandma who sent me some money so we could have a nice meal out. I took this to the extreme and had a massive steak and a dessert, as you do.

We also stumbled across several odd and amusing signs on our travels, the Cornish seem to be excellent at ridiculous and stupid signs, so here's small selection.
All in all it was a great weekend, and nice to be away from the caravan. I am back now though, obviously, but am stocked to the rafters with canned goods after a tactical trip to Tesco's on the journey back, made all the more entertaining by the taxi driver exclusively discussing his last crash. Dear me.

By the way, you may notice a distinct lack of pictures of me or Sam on here, but I feel odd putting pictures of people on here, plus Sam's blog is actually read by professionals, so if they ended up here for some reason it might be weird to see soppy pictures of a possible employee. Just so you know.

That's all for now, byeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment