Tuesday 20 July 2010

A Dream Within A Dream

I'm back in the caravan once again after a fantastic weekend back in Birmingham. I hopped on an earlier train in the end on Thursday which meant I was back Birmingham town at about 6:00pm, three hours earlier than planned which meant I was able to enjoy a much more relaxed evening with Sam and "the house".

Friday night saw us head over to the Electric Cinema to watch Inception on opening night. Thankfully I didn't pull my usual opening night trick and go to a midnight showing, although the red wine certainly made me sleepy. This was unrelated to the film though, which was excellent, possibly the best I've seen this year. It had the full package really, an engaging and slightly confusing story, phenomenal special effects, just the right amount of violence, and superb performances from Leonardo DiCaprio (fast becoming my favourite actor) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's the sort of film you think about for weeks after, and in fact I've just been engaged in a text exchange with Mike about possible plot holes, which left us both baffled. I won't say too much though as I went in knowing nothing about the film and enjoyed it all the more for it.

Saturday night was Mike's birthday party, which almost didn't happen due to indecisive weather and a general air of confusion surrounding the proceedings. However, all went according to plan in the end, and the night was a triumph of arm wrestling and slam
dancing. I would put pictures up but they're all of people, and you know my feelings about that. By that, I don't mean people, that makes me sound like a sociopath.

Sunday was a joyfully lazy day, with Steve cooking us up a huge hangover fry-up followed by a brief jaunt to the outside world to see some old friends (namely Nicholas and Hanzibar). The general laziness was sky high for Sam and I, but much needed simply to forget about our projects for a day.

And now once again I'm back in the caravan for my final stint. Today it is the wettest I've known it so far down here, and my lift cancelled so it's another day indoors drinking tea and trying to crack on with work.

In bovinophobia news, I returned yesterday to find eight Highland cattle have moved into the field that is about 10 metres away from the caravan. There's a gate separating us, obviously, but these cows are calving. I was actually told "they're alright, but just after they give birth is when you need to be careful; that's when they're really dangerous". They should all be dropping their payloads in the next few days so we'll see if that's when they break out and kill me in my sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment